Pages

Two Bit, you say?

We are just two girls; living in a two-bit town; using this blog to make a name for ourselves in this world.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mint Choco Chip Cookies

Two things- first, this recipe is SUPER easy.  Second, does anyone else think that it sounds cool to shorten "chocolate" to "choco"? I know I can't be the only one because if I could choose to eat a piece of chocolate or a piece of choco, I would definitely choose a piece of choco.

Look at that beautiful green color!
I, 2Bit Joy, have been taking a little break from life in the 2bit town of Lexington. I am in Palo Alto, California, (right outside of San Francisco) spending time with someone who loves the mint chocolate (or choco, as some may say) combination, a certain Michael Jackson. I have never been too crazy about mint chocolate, but it's amazing how someone's tastes can influence your own. Just a few examples of how my tastes have been influenced- I have been drinking an exponentially large amount of soft drinks (diet for me, regular for him); I have had cravings for buffalo flavored things, which I NEVER cared for before; and now I can add mint chocolate flavored things to the list. (I draw the line here. I will not eat donettes or other crappy hostess baked goodies nor will I eat summer sausage. And don't get me started on drinking juice cocktail. Sick. No offense to those of you who enjoy these disgusting things. Whoops.)

Inspiration
Michael and I, quite impressively, went through a pack of mint Oreos in two days while we were camping at Yosemite. Michael loves him some minty choco cookies; so I wanted to make him some cookies that didn't come out of a Nabisco package but that were also simple since I don't have any cooking ingredients with me. These cookies are super simple and pack a wonderfully balanced minty chocolate punch. And since they are minty, you can eat one before bed as a replacement for brushing your teeth!! JK Bits, don't do that! You will no doubt get cavities!

You can see the white chunks from the candy cups.
This recipe uses a package cookie mix; so if you have mint extract and you happen to have mint chocolate chips or andes candies or any other mint chocolate candy on hand (I used mint chocolate candy cups), this is a super simple recipe that you can whip together in minutes.


Recipe:
(adapted from Betty Crocker)

1 package Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1 stick butter, softened (not melted)
1/2 tsp mint extract
6 to 8 drops green food coloring
1 egg
1 cup chopped up mint chocolate candy- andes or mint filled chocolate candy cups
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
(or 1 package of mint chocolate and dark chocolate chips if you are lucky enough to find one)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine cookie mix, butter, mint extract, and food coloring and egg until a dough forms. Add in minty candy bits and chocolate chips. Dropped by rounded spoonful / ice cream scoop on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then move to wire rack to let fully cool.

Mmm mmm... Michael approved! And this means a lot since he takes his mint choco seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment