Pages

Two Bit, you say?

We are just two girls; living in a two-bit town; using this blog to make a name for ourselves in this world.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pumpkin Cheesecake


2Bit's sister-in-law, Gabrielle, recently made the creamiest, most amazing pumpkin pie. The reason it was amazing is because it tasted more like cheesecake than pumpkin pie. Very few people do I know that dislike pumpkin pie as much as my husband and myself. But, after trying Gabrielle's pumpkiny goodness, we both became fans. So, I decide to try it out, and with Thanksgiving being right around the corner and all, it's only appropriate. BUT, you know how 2Bit is, always trying to find a little healthier recipes or at least a little less fattening. So, while the Paula Dean recipe sounded quite perfectly rich, the recipe below from allrecipes.com is the healthiest I found.

  • What you need:

  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
(http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Cheesecake-Pie/Detail.aspx)


You can do a flour pie crust or a graham cracker crust. I had one I bought from the store. Don't judge 2Bit for not making her own graham cracker crust this time. Too busy she was....I try to keep a crust on hand for busy times such as these. You might do the same with the holidays approaching.


Start mixing softened cream cheese

Then add brown sugar and mix until it's fairly creamy

Once the cream cheese/sugar mixture is creamy, add 3 eggs, one at a time.

Notice how smooth. 2Bit loves smooth anything
Add 15 oz can of pumpkin and continue to mix

Add the 1/2 cup of whipping cream

Again, smooth as butta...

And your spices, of course, make the dish. Add 1/2 tsp cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp salt and it calls for nutmeg, which I did not have.. Tasted find though in the end.


Now I tasted the batter and it didn't seem as sweet as I was expecting, so what saves the day??? 

CHOCOLATE. Always...

Bake at 350. 
And if the cruel oven cracks your pie...


 Just whip up some whipping cream to hide the evidence... Who's crackin up now, oven??
       
See, whipped cream looks and tastes superb...

***You're gonna have a little more pie filling than a HEARTY 9 inch pan's worth, so you could do two small ones or one hearty one and the remainder in whatever else you have. 2bit used a mini pan for the remainder.

4 comments:

  1. * on your side note..I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who blasts the heat in the car to heat up my eyelash curler! =) Luke thinks I'm crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed hard at spiting the oven by adding whipped cream...great idea.
    I loved the addition of chocolate chips and had an instant craving...great idea...and the very incentive to go bake this new recipe...
    But, I'm writing to make sure that the one who curls her eyelashes is NOT the driver...and surely NOT while driving....and NEVER putting her mascara on while in transit, behind the wheel!!!!
    Just making sure!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and in case there's some doubt...this is chinapassage madre!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. only at stop lights.... right??!!! lets make one when you all return!!

    ReplyDelete