Pages

Two Bit, you say?

We are just two girls; living in a two-bit town; using this blog to make a name for ourselves in this world.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Caramel-Rum Sauce



      So, if you recall, we recently gave a fabulous bread recipe, that is very versatile. One of the options mentioned was cinnamon rolls. Well, in the middle of a most chaotic move, I went to make cinnamon rolls and realized I had already packed the cinnamon away. Having my heart set on a delightful, sweet something, 2Bit improvised. Rather than rolling cinnamon & sugar in the dough, I used chocolate chips. I wasn't sure how they would turn out, yet knowing chocolate solves most problems, I became excited; upon this experiment, the creative wheels began to turn, and 2Bit realized that some kind of sticky, caramel sauce would suit these chocolate chip rolls much better. Most caramel sauces call for heavy whipping cream, which I did not have. Having packed up the computer too, improvisation led the way yet again. I combined everything I believed to go into caramel/ sticky bun sauce in a sauce pan, and it was... slap yo mama good!! Rum could be the culprit... Guesstimating, this is how you slap yo mama:

-Melt 3-4 tbs butter in a sauce pan over med heat
-Add 1/4 to 1/2 c. turbinado sugar & constantly stir
-Pour about 1/3 c. of Alaga Cane Syrup (What is that you ask? It is an example of how my grocery visits digress. 2 hours later at Kroger, I discover a healthier form of corn syrup in the clearance of manager's special rack!!) So, as you probably won't have it, just use corn syrup
-1 tsp molasses
-Add 2-3 tbs milk
- Add 1/2 tsp corn starch to thicken the sauce
-Continue to stir until it boils for a couple minutes. You don't want it to boil too long as it will harden when it cools.
-Test the consistency by dropping a few drops into cold water.
- Lower temp. & add 1 tsp vanilla & a couple jiggers of rum
-If the directions seem a bit ambiguous, fear not. Just try it out and judge the consistency for yourself. Experimenting & creativity are the beauties of cooking. And it will taste great b/c it has sugar & rum in it...

-You can use this sauce on anything- ice cream, sweet rolls, bread pudding, brownies, or straight from the pan! 


The mysterious Alaga Syrup
***You may use variations of these ingredients or I found a recipe pretty dang similar to the sauce I created, but i can't guarantee you will slap yo mama:

No comments:

Post a Comment